[vtkusers] Bug in vtkBoostPrimMinimumSpanningTree?

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Fri May 21 13:54:46 EDT 2010

>> I do have a question (not a criticism): you say what I did was more
>> hackish but couldn't it also be faster and end up using less memory?
>> By calling AddVertex once for each of N vertices, the STL container is forced
>> to reallocate log(N) times and will end up allocating 2**(floor(log2(N))+1)
>> entries instead of exactly N entries. If that could be a significant problem,
>> would it be a good idea to add a call like "SetNumberOfVertices" to the
>> mutable graph classes?
>
>I like the SetNumberOfVertices() idea, it would indeed be faster and
>use less memory. What I meant was that vtkGraphInternals and
>vtkVertexAdjacencyList are not meant to be manipulated directly, but
>should be changed by using other vtkGraph API.

What would the semantics of SetNumberOfVertices() be? Should it
just adjust the GraphInternals->Adjacency ivar or should it also
try to allocate memory for vertex point coordinates? Also, I'm
unfamiliar with the distributed graph helper class, but it sounds
like some attention should be paid to how SetNumberOfVertices
works in parallel.

    David