[vtkusers] Java errors

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Fri May 21 09:42:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM, David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried building with Java wrapping enabled for the first time and am
> getting a whole bunch of errors:
>
> [ 27%] Building CXX object
> Graphics/CMakeFiles/vtkGraphicsJava.dir/vtkJavaProgrammableFilter.cxx.o
> In file included from
> /home/doriad/src/VTK/Graphics/vtkJavaProgrammableFilter.cxx:25:
> /home/doriad/src/VTK/Graphics/vtkJVMManager.h:34: error:
> ‘jvariant::jvariant(jbyte)’ cannot be overloaded
> /home/doriad/src/VTK/Graphics/vtkJVMManager.h:33: error: with
> ‘jvariant::jvariant(jboolean)’
>
> /home/doriad/src/VTK/Graphics/vtkJavaProgrammableFilter.cxx:156:
> error: conversion from ‘jvariant’ to ‘jboolean’ is ambiguous
>
> Does anyone know if these mean that there is something wrong with my
> Java installation/environment, or if it is actually a VTK error?

This has been seen before, and was confirmed as a bug in gcj:

http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2009-July/006139.html

A cmake try-compile could potentially detect whether the jboolean
signature is needed, and conditionally compile it. The other solution
is to use a different version of Java.

Jeff