[vtkusers] SelectEnclosedMesh with VTK possible?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Mon May 17 10:37:21 EDT 2010

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> If you have a point that lies inside the mesh that you want, then you
> could modify this example:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/PolyData/ExtractOutsideSurface
> and start the ray at that point and shoot it out.

Thanks Bill for Your answer.

Looking at the example, I think that wouldn't work since the example
extracts the resulting mesh via the vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter.
However in our problem it is just one mesh of a fully connected object.
We would need a method to substract or delete the EnclosedPoints from
the single mesh they come from.
Is there a way to delete Vertices and their linked faces from a PolyData
with vtk?
Perhaps then it would be possible to use the code from
SelectEnclosedPoints and modify it to not make a copy of each enclosed
vertex but delete it in the mesh as soon as it is found to lie inside.

Or would there be an easier way to achieve this?

Many thanks for any help or hints
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583