[vtkusers] VTK (5.4.2) + Xcode(3.2.1) on Mac (SnowLeopard 10.6)

Scott Harris scottrharris at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:29:34 EDT 2010

Along these lines, I tried to convert the SimpleCocoaVTK demo from static libs to dylibs by removing the .a files and adding the appropriate .dylib files to the project (I also turned on shared libs in ccmake).  That didn't work and putting the .a files back doesn't result in a working executable.

It seems like XCode is confused somehow. Even downloading a fresh copy of the demo still results in the linker looking for and not finding some dylibs.

Here's a typical error that I get at runtime:

Running…
dyld: Library not loaded: libvtkftgl.5.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/Debug/SimpleCocoaVTK.app/Contents/MacOS/SimpleCocoaVTK
  Reason: image not found
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all
Data Formatters temporarily unavailable, will re-try after a 'continue'. (Unknown error loading shared library "/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/GDBMIDebugging.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/PBGDBIntrospectionSupport.A.dylib")
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
Cannot access memory at address 0x0

The odd thing is that I'm trying to use any .dylibs in the project. I'm just compiling the project as-is from Examples/GUI/Cocoa.

Also, there is a linker path during compile that I can't find the origin of in XCode:

Ld /Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/Debug/SimpleCocoaVTK.app/Contents/MacOS/SimpleCocoaVTK normal i386
cd /Users/scott/Development/Cocoa
setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -L/Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/Debug -L/Users/scott/Development/vtk5Build/lib/vtk-5.6 -L/Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/../../../../kitware/VTK-debug-install/lib/vtk-5.5 -L/Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/../vtk5Build/lib/vtk-5.6 -F/Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/Debug -filelist /Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/SimpleCocoaVTK.build/Debug/SimpleCocoaVTK.build/Objects-normal/i386/SimpleCocoaVTK.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -lz -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -lvtkCommon -lvtkftgl -lvtkGenericFiltering -lvtkGraphics -lvtkHybrid -lvtkImaging -lvtkIO -lvtkpng -lvtkRendering -lvtksys -lvtktiff -lvtkjpeg -framework IOKit -lvtkFiltering -o /Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/build/Debug/SimpleCocoaVTK.app/Contents/MacOS/SimpleCocoaVTK

ld: warning: directory '/Users/scott/Development/Cocoa/../../../../kitware/VTK-debug-install/lib/vtk-5.5' following -L not found

I can not find the origin of the vtk-5.5 -L directive. I'm baffled.

These may be Xcode questions, but I'm hoping folks on the list have run into this and solved it before with VTK+Cocoa+XCode.

Rebuilding VTK with "use shared libs" off fixes the first problem, but I'm still confused by it. Why can't I use dylibs and static libs side by side?

Thanks,
-Scott