[vtkusers] Image Orientation computation

sercani sercanimailgroups at gmail.com
Thu May 6 02:43:10 EDT 2010

06.05.2010 08:12, Abhishek_Gupta yazmış:
> Am implementing the MPR functionality using VTK libraries and bit confused
> how to calculate the patient orientations in the sagital and coronal view
> when the DICOM image was in Axial view. I was able to display the
> orientations from the DICOM file using the formulas provided in the
> http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part2.html site by Mr. Clunie.
> Using this i get the orientation of the image of that particular DICOM image
> but how should i calculate the orientations for the other views except the
> one present in the DICOM file when reconstructed using the VTK.

Hi Abhistek;
If you are using vtkImageViewer2 for MPR rendering you can find their
orientations like this:

First find all axial (XY plane) orientations for left, top, right ,
bottom, front and back sides of vtkImageViewer2 and insert them into an
array or stringlist etc. and do these calculations for other views:

enum tagSCREEN
{
LEFT=0,
TOP,
RIGHT,
BOTTOM,
FRONT,
BACK
}ESCREEN;

//Sagittal
StringList getOrientationAnnotationForYZPlane()
{
StringList xy=getOrientationAnnotationForXYPlane();//axial orientations

StringList list;
list.insert(LEFT,xy.at(TOP));
list.insert(TOP,xy.at(BACK));
list.insert(RIGHT,xy.at(BOTTOM));
list.insert(BOTTOM,xy.at(FRONT));
list.insert(FRONT,xy.at(LEFT));
list.insert(BACK,xy.at(RIGHT));
return list;
}
//Coronal
StringList getOrientationAnnotationForXZPlane()
{
StringList xy=getOrientationAnnotationForXYPlane();//axial orientations

StringList list;
list.insert(LEFT,xy.at(LEFT));
list.insert(TOP,xy.at(BACK));
list.insert(RIGHT,xy.at(RIGHT));