[vtkusers] Smoothing polygons (vtkPolyData)

Oliver Rudolph oliver.rudolph at iisb.fraunhofer.de
Wed May 5 07:43:24 EDT 2010

David Doria wrote:
>     Oliver Rudolph wrote:
>
>         Dear all!
>
>         Is there anything available in vtk that I simply haven't found
>         yet for
>         smoothing some polygonal data?
>
>         I have a closed polygon in 3D space (although it's actually
>         located on a
>         plane) which is stored as vtkPolyData. Unfortunately, it consists of
>         quite a lot of points, even in regions of low curvature. Is
>         there any
>         filter that can remove some of the points automagically?
>
>         Best regards,
>         Oliver
>

> Don't forget to check the examples!

Thank you for the links. I tried running these examples directly on my
data (only changing the Reader/Writer from XML to old data format):

> http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/WindowedSincPolyDataFilter
Trying to run this example on my data results in a segfault.

> http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/Decimation
As I have no triangles in my data, this filter (vtkDecimatePro)
complains about no data to decimate:

Before decimation
------------
There are 6499 points.
There are 0 triangles.
ERROR: In
/user_data/rudolph_local/build/VTK/Graphics/vtkDecimatePro.cxx, line 161
vtkDecimatePro (0x626da0): No data to decimate!

After decimation
------------
There are 0 points.
There are 0 triangles.

> This:
> http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/719
>
> will likely get you exactly the point set you want, but unfortunately
> you are then responsible for remeshing the points.
>
> Good luck,
>
> David

Yours,
Oliver