[vtkusers] Smoothing polygons (vtkPolyData)

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Wed May 5 07:16:22 EDT 2010

> Oliver Rudolph wrote:
>
>> Dear all!
>>
>> Is there anything available in vtk that I simply haven't found yet for
>> smoothing some polygonal data?
>>
>> I have a closed polygon in 3D space (although it's actually located on a
>> plane) which is stored as vtkPolyData. Unfortunately, it consists of
>> quite a lot of points, even in regions of low curvature. Is there any
>> filter that can remove some of the points automagically?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Don't forget to check the examples!

http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/WindowedSincPolyDataFilter
<http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/WindowedSincPolyDataFilter>
http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/Decimation

This:
http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/719

will likely get you exactly the point set you want, but unfortunately you
are then responsible for remeshing the points.
<http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Meshes/Decimation>
Good luck,

David