[vtkusers] Qt-Chart vs Chart vs Hybrid-XYPlot

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Mon Mar 29 15:01:57 EDT 2010

Excellent question. The best I can do is explain how used each is,
which will give you an idea of how they may be extended and supported
in the future.

The charts in GUISupport\Qt\Charts were being used by the ParaView
application up until very recently, when it switched to the new charts
being built in VTK\Chart. Don't expect to see much in the way of fixes
in the former (and they may be removed entirely in the near future),
but you should see lots of activity in the latter in the coming years.

The chart classes in Hybrid predate anything else, and are used
heavily in at least a few applications, especially ones with
dependencies to older versions of VTK. They are simpler, but may not
have as many features. I'd like to see these migrated to VTK\Chart at
some point, but they have more likelihood of sticking around for a
while.

Hope that gives you some sense of the current state of things.

Jeff