[vtkusers] Calculating frame rate

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:53:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Francois Bertel <
francois.bertel at kitware.com> wrote:

> You don't want to measure your framerate all the time because
> WaitForCompletion() is actually a call to glFinish() which is
> necessary for accurate measurement but could kill overall performance
> has it prevents the CPU thread for doing subsequent operations
> (blocking call) until the GPU is done.
>
> I usually use it in a performance test with an explicit loop over
> multiple render calls and compute the average time.

I agree you wouldn't want to measure it all the time, but you could do
renderWindow->ComputeFrameRateOn() or something like that. Or even a frame
rate widget that does everything that Darshan was looking for (display the
framerate in a TextActor) would be very nice.

Thanks,

David