[vtkusers] no module named vtk

David Feng dfeng at cs.unc.edu
Wed Mar 10 21:57:42 EST 2010

Well, you could always build it yourself instead of using the macport.
 This isn't the right answer, though.  I would first make sure that
the python wrappings are getting built, since vtkpython gets built
with them.  Wherever the shared libraries are getting built, you
should find python versions (i.e. vtkGraphicsPython.dylib).  If those
are there then the following from VTK/Wrapping/Python/README.txt
probably applies:

Using the package from the source build without installing it
      system wide and without using `vtkpython`.  This is most
      useful when you build VTK off a CVS checkout and do not want
      to install it system wide and still want to use the vanilla
      Python interpreter.  This is also useful if you are not the
      administrator of the machine you are using/building VTK on.

    Unix/Linux
      Under Unix the way to do this is to set the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH`
      (or equivalent) to the directory that contains the libvtk*.so
      libraries.  You must also set your `PYTHONPATH` to *both* the
      directory that contains all the `libvtk*Python.so` files *and*
      the `Wrapping/Python` directory.  Under bash/sh something like
      so needs to be done::

        $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH
        $ export PYTHONPATH=$VTK_ROOT/Wrapping/Python:${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}

      and under csh::

        $ setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}
        $ setenv PYTHONPATH ${VTK_ROOT}/Wrapping/Python:${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}

      where VTK_ROOT is the directory where VTK is being built
      (`VTK_BINARY_DIR`) and `LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH` (this variable is
      set in `CMakeCache.txt`) is where the libraries are built.
      Change this to suit your configuration.

David

--
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~dfeng