[vtkusers] [Insight-users] Extraction of mandible

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Mar 7 12:49:28 EST 2010

Hi Ali,

               ITK manages N-Dimensional images.

It is better to perform the segmentation in the 3D image itself.

Working with individual 2D slices bring many unnecessary
complications to the segmentation process. You can avoid
them by working directly in 3D.

Simply instantiate the region growing filter by using a 3D
image type.

See for example:

    InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk
           itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Auxiliary
/vtk/itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx?revision=1.11&root=InsightApplications&view=markup

In particular,
please note that the seed point must be provided
by the user. Here we use the primitive method:

    if( argc >  4 )
      {
      seed[0] = atoi( argv[2] );
      seed[1] = atoi( argv[3] );
      seed[2] = atoi( argv[4] );
      }

    filter->SetSeed( seed );

but, using a VTK picker or a vtkPointWidget
will provide a more elegant way of gathering
the seed point from the user.

     Regards,

             Luis