[vtkusers] Trying to understand data flow in the VTK pipeline

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Mar 4 14:03:47 EST 2010

VTK is not as smart as you are hoping it is. It can not in general and
without assistance figure out what parts of the input is needed for a
given request with a very tight bounds.

VTK does support arbitrary streaming however, which is the basis for
data parallelism (as exemplified by ParaView). Here the downstream
ends tells the rest of the pipeline what fraction of the data it
needs, and only that fraction is processed. So, the solution to big
data is to add more cluster nodes (and thus more RAM), and divide the
data more finely until no one node exceeds memory. But note that even
in this case the entire dataset gets processed by somewhere.

Kitware and LANL have been working on improvements to streaming that
improve upon that. Some filters can quickly determine if a particular
piece is needed at all or not (for example a piece outside the view
frustum is not), and avoid processing (and thus IO for the input) of
pieces that do not matter. If the number of pieces is high, you can
get pretty tight bounds and avoid lots of IO and processing in many
cases. See TestPriorityStreaming for a simple demonstration, or the
Streaming and Adaptive ParaView experimental applications that
exercise it.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer