[vtkusers] OSX 10.6 TCL issue "libvtkRendering.5.4.dylib: GC capability mismatch" ( solution too )

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 3 12:04:50 EST 2010

THANK YOU!

You recent fixes seems to be working for me! And I got 64-bit vtk tcl! Awesome, I hated running out of memory.

But...

I still had to add the -fobjc-gc flag for what ever reason. I build it for "i386;x86_64" with dynamic libraries. I take it you don't need to build it with that objc flag? I wonder what's odd about my system where it needed.

As the documentation indicates it just add support to the library for this feature, I am not sure there would be a down side to adding it.

Brad

On Mar 3, 2010, at 11:34 AM, David Gobbi wrote:

> For OS X 10.6, set CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to x86_64 and do a Cocoa
> build.  This will match the Snow Leopard "wish", which is
> Cocoa/x86_64.  This only works for cvs VTK... my fixes to the
> vtkTkRenderRenderWidget to get it working with Cocoa are fairly
> recent.
>
>  David
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Bradley Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>> Hello David,
>> My initial post below just got my non-gui script working (which was all I
>> needed yesterday). But as you know it didn't work with my GUI ones!
>> What is the recommended way to build with TCL support, now?
>> Carbon vs Cocoa?
>> 32vs64?
>> Carbon is only 32bit (but its was what was needed for TkRenderWidget), but
>> the wish executable was running as 64, producing library incompatibilities.
>> I ended up have to do something like the following:
>> arch -i386
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Brad
>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:43 AM, David Gobbi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> The VTK 5.4/OS X 10.6 combination is known to have many problems, most
>> if not all of which have been fixed in cvs.  These include a boatload
>> of fixes specifically for Tk, as well as link fixes to the
>> CMakeLists.txt.  Can you try VTK cvs on your system and report whether
>> you are still seeing the problems that you describe below?  There will
>> be a VTK 5.6 release in (hopefully) the next few weeks that will
>> include all the OS X 10.6 fixes.
>>
>>   David

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for