[vtkusers] plotting boundaries between cell data scalar values

McClennan, Scott Andrew mcclennan at wai.com
Tue Mar 2 17:12:28 EST 2010

Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to plot cell data so that cell faces that are on boundaries between different scalar values are visible.  For example, I have structured grid data representing a 3x3x3 block of cells composed of two materials with one material block of 3x3 cells sandwiched between the other .  If I turn off the center layer material (by making it transparent or using vtkStructuredGrid::SetCellVisibilityArray()) I would like to see the solid faces of the other material.  Two images are attached to illustrate - one from a simple graphics program showing cell surfaces on all boundaries and the other my attempt with vtk showing missing cell faces on the boundaries.
Can anyone tell me if there is a filter to plot boundaries between scalar values in a single vtkCellData?  I tried toggling backface and frontface culling, but this is not the issue.  The only other way I could think of to accomplish this is to set up separate structured grids for each material, but this seems inefficient.
Thanks for your help,
Scott

Weidlinger Associates, Inc. made the following annotations.

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

"Please consider our environment before printing this email."