[vtkusers] Merging two Unstructured Grids / Surfaces

Karl Heinrichmeyer heinrichmeyer at zlw-ima.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 1 16:29:03 EST 2010

Hi together ..

I'm working at a project that uses Vtk to prepare intermediate results
of different numeric simulations, all part of the engineering sciences,
for the next simulation step. The data to work with are in general
unstructured grids representing the geometry and properties of
working-pieces while the simulations are something like welding and forging.

For one of this simulations i need to combine two input grids, that
represent two working-peaces prepared for welding,  into one single
surface. The two working peaces, in the actual case a gear-wheel and a
ring, "lie on each other". That means the grids have contact and may
intersect a little bit. The input consists of unstructured grids. The
output has to be the combined surface of both grids without the contact
surface. The mesh of this output surface isn't important while the shape
has to match the input exact as possible.

I tried several things on my own and my current plan to proceed is the
following:

  1. Extract the surfaces of both geometries using vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter
  2. Clipping the resulting polydata with each other using vtkClipPolyData
  3. Extracting the cutting edge with vtkFeaturedEdges
  4. "sewing" the edges by hand with an own algorithm
  5. put everything together.

My first question is: Has anybody a better idea to do this? And maybe:
Is this possible at all?  I searched the vtk documentation quite a long
time without results.

The second problem i found is to clip the surfaces with each other. I
would need something like a vtkImplicitPolyData. I searched for
something like this too but the only thing i found was a thread from
2001. Is there something like an vtkImplicitPolyData in vtk that takes a
polygonal surface and behave like an implicit function that can be used
for clipping?

Thanks in advance.

Karl