[vtkusers] Using vtkPolyData with VS8/9

Adriano Gagliardi agagliardi at ara.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 04:12:56 EDT 2010

Dear All,

I've recently encountered an issue when trying to compile a piece of code
using VS8 and VS9, which I had working fine in Linux. The issue is related
to the GetPoint member function of vtkPolyData. In Linux, I had the
following (simplified) expression:

double diff = poly->GetPoint(0)[0] - poly->GetPoint(1)[0];

In Linux this worked fine using the gcc-4.3.3 compiler. However, under
Windows it returns a nan. Is it possible to get some further clarification
on why this is, as it appears unintuitive to have to store both those values
before performing the operation? Is it luck that this is working fine under
Linux? After speaking to a colleague about this, she noticed that the call
poly->GetPoint() is not thread-safe so could invalidate any other calls to
vtk objects on the same line.

Regards,

Adriano

===================================

Adriano Gagliardi MEng PhD
Business Sector Leader
Computational Aerodynamics
Aircraft Research Association Ltd.
Manton Lane
Bedford

Tel: 01234 32 4644
E-mail: agagliardi at ara.co.uk

This email contains information that is private and confidential and is intended only for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete it and notify us immediately by e-mailing the sender.
Note: All email sent to or from this address may be accessed by someone other than the recipient, for
system management and security reasons.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd.  Registered in England, Registration No 503668 Registered Office:
Manton Lane, Bedford MK41 7PF England VAT No GB 196351245