[vtkusers] displaying 3D on the web

Eric Engelhard ekengelhard at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:14:41 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I am representing a data set as grid of 3D actors in the x-y plane. I
am using color like a heat map, but also using z-position to emphasize
data points of interest as well as vtkBalloonWidget to display text
information for each object. Ultimately, I would like to serve the
images and texts via the web. Is there an obviously superior solution?
How viable is VRML/X3D?  Or would it be better to serve up static
views with accompanying image maps? Is there a standard method for
recovering image/window-based coordinates of each object?

Many thanks,

Eric Engelhard