[vtkusers] Displaying vtkPolyData while writing on it within Qt objects (QVTKWidget)

Barth, Sebastian sebastian.barth at iosb.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jun 18 11:22:42 EDT 2010

Hello vtkusers,

my application uses the QVTKWidget with Qt 4.6.2 and VTK 5.6.0 as a part of it's window.

I have a 3D visualisation of a cluster of points stored in a vtkPolyData. On my Qt window I can start a QTimer whose timeout() signal is connected to a slot which manipulates the points in the vtkPolyData and updates the visualisation pipeline with QVTKWidget::update().

My vtkRendererWindow uses the default interactor style (trackball camera).

While moving the camera (mouse interaction) the QVTKWindow gets updated, but the vtkPolyData does not.
This of course, is a Qt problem, but I want to know if I have to do anything special if I want to write on the vtkPolyData object from out another thread (QThread) while I'm moving the camera and displaying the current written Data. Maybe there is a simplier solution, I don't know!

It's the first time I work with VTK, QT and even threads and I appreciate every help!

Thanks a lot,

Sebastian