[vtkusers] Vtkpcastatistics eigenvectors

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 15:47:34 EDT 2010

> David
>
> I've changed http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Broken/vtkPCAStatisticsso that it works for me. Please move it out of "Broken" once you've verified
> it works for you. It looks like it was a test, not an example so it
> purposefully tried invalid inputs in several places to test error checking
> in the implementation. I've removed that so that it is actually an example.
>
> Also, are the links I sent to Stefan (and the list) enough that you can
> figure out what vtkPCAStatistics does? If not, can you say what's confusing
> so it can get addressed?
>
>        David

Thanks David T. -

I've moved it into Utilities. I didn't take any serious time to study what
is going on - I was just expecting it to provide

std::vector<double> GetEigenValues();
and
vtkDoubleArray* GetEigenVectors();

types of functions (which I would still recommend). When I didn't see those
I guess I stopped looking assuming that I was misunderstanding the whole
idea of the class. It seems like Stefan's question indicates that he felt
the same way. It is great that the filter provides all of this other
information, but I bet the majority of users would just want easy access to
eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I think that users who are not versed in VTK's
Infovis would not be used to extracting information from a vtkTable.

Thanks again,

David D.