[vtkusers] Question with basic Titan example

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Tue Jun 15 14:46:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Bill Sherman <shermanw at indiana.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently gone through the build process for Titan on my MacBookPro,
> and now that I have it built I'm trying to figure out how to use it.
> I used the instructions on the kitware wiki to do the build:
>        - https://www.kitware.com/InfovisWiki/index.php/Build_Instructions
>
> So I found a couple of potential resources for examples, but I'm still
> stuck.
>
> The first potential resource was another page on the kitware.com wiki:
>        -
> https://www.kitware.com/InfovisWiki/index.php/Titan_Simple_Application
>
> But the first line there indicates that the example is out of date, but
> it does point to a directory of examples.  I plan to work my way through
> some of the Python examples, but without explanatory text, it's somewhat
> of a tedious task.

Glad to hear your interest in Titan. Sorry for the late response.

We are working on python examples for the Titan repo itself. Currently
most of the infovis stuff is in VTK, and there are plenty of python
examples in VTK/Examples/Infovis/Python. It could also help to look
through the VTK wiki for examples that seem interesting:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples#Graphs

> I then found the powerpoint slides for the IEEE Vis08 tutorial for
> "Information Visualization in VTK", and it gives a very basic example
> for both Tcl and Python.
>
> I tried the Python example, but when I get to the command:
>        "view.SetupRenderWindow(window)"
>
> I get this error message:
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    AttributeError: SetupRenderWindow
>    >>> window.GetInteractor().Start()
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Start'
>    >>> window.GetInteractor()
>    >>> view.SetRenderWindow(window)
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    AttributeError: SetRenderWindow
>
> So I presume the arugments to the SetupRenderWindow() method changed,
> but I don't know to what they might now be.

Yes, you no longer call SetupRenderWindow(), instead the render window
is made in the view itself and you call view->Render() to render. The
examples I alluded to earlier show the proper calls.

Anyone who wants more information about the new Titan repository can visit:

The Titan home page: http://titan.sandia.gov
The Titan users mailing list: subscribe at
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/titan-users
The Titan wiki: https://www.kitware.com/InfovisWiki/index.php/Main_Page
The Titan source code repository: git://public.kitware.com/titan.git
The Titan software quality dashboard:
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=Titan

Jeff