[vtkusers] Problem with loading libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jun 10 10:03:59 EDT 2010

Hey Miguel,

Are you sure it's really looking for the library in /usr/local/lib/vtk-5.6/ ? On my OS X build the Python.so libraries in the site-packages VTK egg really look in my build/bin directory. Have you tried running "otool -L" on the .so library? If you have built VTK with VTK_USE_RPATH: OFF, then it will just list libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib with no absolute path before it, and thus will not be able to find it. If it has a path, then that's where it's really looking for it, and you can check if it's there. If you haven't, I would recommend building on OS X with VTK_USE_RPATH: ON so the system has an easier time finding the libraries it needs.

I don't build with Tcl/Tk wrapping on, so maybe I'm off-base on this, but it's worth a try. You really shouldn't have to add any extra paths if the Python wrappers have been built and installed correctly.

Talk to you later,
-Eric