[vtkusers] Performance problem on linux

Johannes Wienke jwienke at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jun 7 12:30:41 EDT 2010

Hi,

I got some kind of performance issue with vtk 5.6 on linux. I've create
a simple test program that generates one sphere source every few
milliseconds, creates a polyDataMapper and and actor and adds this actor
to a render window. This is triggered with a timer on the interactor of
the render window (simple vtk render window). You can see how this is
getting slower the more sphere's are rendered. For e.g. 1500 spheres
mouse interaction isn't smooth anymore.
Is this generally the right approach to get some asynchronous
interaction or may this already explain the performance problems?

Nevertheless, I tried several things and one thing I found out is that
renderWindow->IsDirect() always returns 0. Also if I use a Qt-based
render window. glxinfo clearly shows that direct rendering is enabled on
the system and glxgears runs with nearly 3000 FPS.

Thanks for any help.
Johannes