[vtkusers] Options for drawing contours on images.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 12:13:25 EDT 2010

I am building a tool to adjust our in house segmentation results (not
using itk for that) for lung CT cases (0.625 to 5mm). The results are
stored in a 3D mask image. Using itk and vtk I have been able to
convert parts of this mask (still need to convert non closed contours
like fissures) to an input suitable for using with vtkContourWidgets
so that they can be edited. After editing the contours I need to be
able to generate a compatible mask containing the edited contours. For
this I am currently using an external algorithm to draw filled
polygons.

This represents a few problems:
1. I am not sure that I get the same exact shape that the
vtkContourWidgets draw using the default
vtkOrientedGlyphContourRepresentation.
2. I need the filled polygon to mark the borders with a different mask value.
3. I need to be able to draw open contours for the fissures - and
possibly food fill between fissures / boundaries for the lobes
4. I would like to use as much itk/vtk code as possible instead of
having to develop my own drawing routines..

Over the last week I have looked into a few ways to draw the contours
on the image using itk or vtk
1. vtkPolyDataToImageStencil - This seemed slow and I could not get it
to produce the correct result.

2. vtkWindowToImageFilter - I would need that to be generated hidden
from the user and the mask is 16 bit per value not full color.

--
John M. Drescher