[vtkusers] How to specify the path to VTK in CMake?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:51:31 EDT 2010

> thank you all very much for your support. I tried all you suggestions, but
> no one works. Finally, I'm about to surrender... :-( May I ask you guys one
> more question?
> Does the CMake GUI show a "VTK_DIR" row in your projects BY DEFAULT?

Yes. This has always worked for the 2+ years I have used Cmake on
windows (and Cmake 2.4.X to Cmake-2.8.2). Attached is a screen capture
of the SideBySideRenderWindows example from the vtk wiki examples. You
can find the example at
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Qt/SideBySideRenderWindows#CMakeLists.txt

Note although it always shows a VTK_DIR on the first run cmake-gui can
not always locate the correct VTK_DIR for me under windows. One
reason is I install everything under X: instead of cluttering my OS
drive. As a result the first time I configure a new project or delete
the cache I need to manually set this variable.

John