[vtkusers] ANN: VTK Wiki Examples Update

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:24:44 EDT 2010

Folks,

David Doria, Aashish Chaudhary, Zack Galbreath, and I are excited to
announce the next phase of the VTK Wiki Examples.

We have established a process to automatically synchronize the
examples at: http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples with a git repository
at http://gitorious.org/vtkwikiexamples. The process includes nightly
compiles of each C++ example on several systems and running most C++ examples
as tests. Many of the tests that produce images are regression tested
against a baseline image.

Highlights:
  Over 500 c++ examples
  Over a dozen python examples (we need more!)
  Almost 5 java examples (we need more!)
  and over 5 tcl examples (we need more!)

  Over 380 c++ tests
  Over 200 Image regression tests

There are three ways to obtain the examples:
1) Go to an example page, cut and paste the example with its
   CMakeLists.txt file.

2) Clone the git repository:

git clone git://gitorious.org/vtkwikiexamples/wikiexamples.git

3) Or download a tarball and extract the examples

http://gitorious.org/vtkwikiexamples/wikiexamples/archive-tarball/master

The wiki is the holder of the master copy of each example. As examples
are added by the VTK community, these examples will automatically be
placed in the git repository, compiled every night and tested.

For general information on the Wiki Examples go to:
http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples

We have instructions for:
Example Users: http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Instructions/ForUsers
Example Developers: http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Instructions/ForDevelopers
Example Administrators:
http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Instructions/ForAdministrators

Please feel free to add examples to this grass roots effort to ease the
VTK learning experience.