[vtkusers] A Problem About vtkXYPlotActor

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jul 9 10:24:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Adriano Gagliardi <agagliardi at ara.co.uk>wrote:

>  Hi Elo,
>
> So, you have set your y-axis range to be between 0 and 8, you then plot a
> curve where some of those y-values are out of this range, so it doesn't plot
> them (it clips them out). This appears to be normal behaviour in my opinion.
> If you want to see all your curves, then you'll have to rescale your y-axis
> to fit them in by setting the y-axis range from 0 to 15. Were you assuming
> it would automatically fit the axes to the data, as within ParaView? This
> option may still be there, but I've never used it.
>
> The charts in ParaView use the new Charts in the VTK/Charts directory. The
vtkXYPlotActor has not been used in ParaView for quite some time (I am not
sure if/when it was used in ParaView). The new charts were written largely
by me to replace the Qt based charts in GUISupport/Qt. The behavior of the
new charts is to clip the lines, i.e. a partial line would be drawn, ending
where the line leaves the plot area.

Is there any reason you are not using the new charts in your work? These are
being actively developed, and I would be interested in feedback on any
lacking features/bugs (have some I am currently working on).

Thanks,

Marcus