[vtkusers] Building/installing VTK 5.4.2 on Ubuntu 9.10 (was: Python compass widget example)

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:50:49 EST 2010

Thanks! This now allows me to run both ccmake and make without errors.

Then we come to the install part...
I navigate to my build dir and there: VTK/VTK-linux/Wrapping/Python
and run:
sudo python setup.py install

well now what?, I start a python shell and type
import vtk
which results in:
>>> import vtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "vtk/__init__.py", line 41, in <module>
    from common import *
  File "vtk/common.py", line 7, in <module>
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: No module named libvtkCommonPython

Anders
(wishing someone had "step-by-step, For Dummies" build/installation
instructions)