[vtkusers] Python compass widget example

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 09:43:42 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Anders Wallin
<anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which compiler are you using?
>> Try installing:
>> libstdc++
>> libstdc++-devel
>
> done.
> what is the difference between "ccmake ." and "cmake ." ?
> the latter gives me some clue of what is wrong:
> -- Checking old streams end-of-file bug level
> -- Checking old streams end-of-file bug level - failed to compile test
> -- Could NOT find OSMesa  (missing:  OSMESA_LIBRARY OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR)
> -- Could not find extension loader.  Extensions disabled.
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/anders/Desktop/vtk5.4.2/VTK
>
> whereas the former (from the Readme) doesn't give any warning at all.
>
> AW

cmake actually runs the configuration.
In, ccmake (the first 'c' is for "curses", the GUI that it uses), you
can setup parameters like include directories and boolean flags, etc.
Then you press 'c' for configure (a couple of times, until it gives
you the option of 'g' for generate). Then press 'g' for generate.

If there isn't a "How to build VTK" document somewhere (which I'd bet
there is?), we know you have all the steps down, so I think you just
volunteered to write it :)

I didn't see one in a quick glance through:
http://vtk.org/VTK/resources/software.html
and
http://vtk.org/VTK/help/documentation.html

When we get something together it should definitely be added in one of
those places. We shouldn't make people learn cmake just to install vtk
(although it is very useful and I'd recommend learning it a little
bit).

Thanks,

David