[vtkusers] Add a plan to a vtkPolyData

Frantch le_maitre at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 27 10:12:29 EST 2010

Hello everybody,

I would like to know how can I add a plane to a polydata ? because ehre what
I'm trying to do:

I have a PolyData that I clip using vtkClipPolyData (clipping function = ONE
plane). I manage to clip it and to display the clipped part. Unfortunately
this clipped polydata
has a missing plane... (the one who has been used to clip..) So as I result
I don't have a close polydata and.. it make wrong the calculation that I'm
doing after..

So here what I did to create the missing plane: I use vtkCutter but
vtkCutter creates lines where the cut function intersects the polydata. So I
will use
vtkStrippers then to puts them together into polylines. I then pull a trick
and define polygons using the closed line segements that the stripper
created..

vtkCutter * cutEdges = vtkCutter::New();

cutEdges->SetInput(myPolyData);
cutEdges->SetCutFunction(plane);
cutEdges->GenerateCutScalarsOn();
cutEdges->SetValue(0, 0.5);

vtkStripper * cutStrips = vtkStripper::New();

cutStrips->SetInputConnection(cutEdges->GetOutputPort());
cutStrips->Update();
vtkPolyData * cutPoly = vtkPolyData::New();
cutPoly->SetPoints(cutStrips->GetOutput()->GetPoints());
cutPoly->SetPolys(cutStrips->GetOutput()->GetLines());

// Triangle filter is robust enough to ignore the duplicate point at
// the beginning and end of the polygons and triangulate them.
vtkTriangleFilter * cutTriangles = vtkTriangleFilter::New();
cutTriangles->SetInput(cutPoly);
cutTriangles->Update();

so cutTriangles is my missing plane.. How can I add that to my clipped
polyData ?

Regards,
Francesco