[vtkusers] Interpolating point on a surface

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jan 21 22:07:27 EST 2010

--On Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:13 PM -0500 Bill Lorensen
<bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I enhanced David D's example:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/InterpolateTerrain
> to use the vtkCellLocator as well as the vtkProbeFilter. If your data
> is uniformly spaced in a grid, then the ProbeFilter is appropriate. If
> it is not uniform in x,y, then the CellLocator is what you want.

The points are nominally on an X/Y grid, but due to the vagueries of moving
parts, not precisely on grid. So I'm guessing I need the CellLocator.

> BTW, the sample looks like a golf green It it is, you may enjoy this
> paper I wrote with a colleague in 1992.

It's a piece of automation equipment (Z is highly exaggerated), but I can
see how some of the same issues apply. Nice article.