[vtkusers] Interpolating point on a surface

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:13:14 EST 2010

Ken,

I think you want:
Filtering/vtkCellLocator. It has a method:
  // Return intersection point (if any) AND the cell which was intersected by
  // the finite line. The cell is returned as a cell id and as a generic cell.
  // For other IntersectWithLine signatures, see vtkAbstractCellLocator
  virtual int IntersectWithLine(double a0[3], double a1[3], double tol,
                                double& t, double x[3], double pcoords[3],
                                int &subId, vtkIdType &cellId,
                                vtkGenericCell *cell);

Just specify a large positive and negative Z for your lines.

BTW, the sample looks like a golf green It it is, you may enjoy this
paper I wrote with a colleague in 1992.

Lorensen, W. E. and B. Yamrom, Golf Green Visualization, IEEE Computer
Graphics and Applications, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 35-44, 1992.
http://marchingcubes.org/images/6/6f/GolfGreenVisualization.pdf

Bill