[vtkusers] Polyhedral challenge

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Jan 21 06:53:49 EST 2010

FYI-

Hua Yang and I are adding a new cell type to VTK: the polyhedral cell. This
is mainly to support our CFD friends who like to compute flow solutions
using flux approaches (balance mass and energy in and out of a region).

One of the key questions is how to interpolate across the interior of such a
cell. In the past I have seen two typical approaches 1) tessellate the
polyhedron into tetrahedra, and then use the tetrahedra to interpolate; and
2) use a 1/r**2 (or similar weighting function) to interpolate from the cell
nodes to an interior point in the polyhedron. Both approaches have problems
with continuity, etc.

We are also researching other approaches. However in the interest of
completeness, if anybody has suggestions for alternatives we'd love to hear
about them.

Will