[vtkusers] Cmake + VTK + QT issues

Caleb Johnston cjj37 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 20 16:05:24 EST 2010

I am developing an application using QT 4.6 and VTK 5.4 with CMake 2.8.
However, I am having troubles compiling with QVTK. Here is an overview of my
situation.

I am trying to compile the VTK Qt ImageViewer example as a test for using
the QVTK widget. This example is in the source tree at
Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer. I have been able to get this to work on Ubuntu
9.10. I followed instructions that I read from this mailing list and other
related sites. But on OSX 10.6, I cannot get VTK to compile using Carbon or
Cocoa. It always fails during the make process with the following error:

.../VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer/main.cxx:36:24: error: QVTKWidget.h: No
such file or directory
.../VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer/main.cxx: In function ‘int main(int,
char**)’:
.../VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer/main.cxx:42: error: ‘QVTKWidget’ was not
declared in this scope
.../VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer/main.cxx:42: error: expected `;' before
‘widget’
.../VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/ImageViewer/main.cxx:43: error: ‘widget’ was not
declared in this scope

However QVTKWidget.h is located /usr/local/include/vtk-5.4/QVTKWidget.h.
What has gone wrong here?

Also, on Windows XP SP3, no matter what I try, Cmake reports "Qt was not
found." However, it is installed. And I have manually created the QTDIR
environment variable which points to 'C:/Qt/2010.01/'. I have also indicated
that I am using version 4 (with DESIRED_QT_VERSION). And I can successfully
develop a QT stand-alone app with this environment.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Caleb