[vtkusers] CT Lung Segmentation: Extract Outer Contours

siqi chen siqichensc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:06:53 EST 2010

Hi, Fred,

I think the main bottleneck is that you have 605 slices and slice by slice
processing is certainly slow. Since the sampling density is so high, I would
guess the spatial position of a vein changes little from slice to slice. If
this is the case, then perhaps you can somehow process the first slice,
label the unwanted components, and create another binary vein/arteries mask
where 1 are the vein/arteries and 0 are the other pixels. Then you just
place this mask to the second slice and then you can pretty much extract the
veins/arteries of the second slice. ....  This is a pretty naive idea and
perhaps you have thought about it already  ^_^

Regarding marching cubes, I guess it will return a large surface which
corresponds to the actual lung surface and the some other noisy surfaces
which correspond veins and arteries. What you can do next depends on what
these surfaces look like.

Hope it helps,
Siqi