[vtkusers] OffScreen Rendering using Mangled Mesa

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:55:55 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Gerrick Bivins <gbivins at objectreservoir.com
> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Are you suggesting that we don't need to use mesa for offscreen rendering
> if our graphics cards support it?
> This is what I thought but the example for this (these are pretty new,
> correct?) still uses Mesa:
> (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Examples_Off_Screen_Rendering)
>

> Gerrick
>

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM, David E DeMarle <
> dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> I recommend against venturing down the mangled mesa path. First, its
>> main use, that of providing offscreen rendering to supplement GPUs
>> that lack it, is mostly obviated by recent GPUs. If your cards still
>> lack support, it is far better to use Mesa's own OSMesa library.
>> Secondly, neither the mesa nor VTK communities have supported it in
>> several years.
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 28 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-371-3971 x109
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Hassan Amin <hassan.amin at nu.edu.pk>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  I set up various options regarding rendering and offscreen rendering
>> > in VTK, but it requires mangled mesa. I am using vtk 5.2.1 and ubuntu
>> > 9.1. I was wondering which packages on ubuntu will provide appropriate
>> > version of mesa for me. Currently, I am getting the following error
>> > when compiling vtk :
>> >
>> > [ 70%] Building CXX object
>> > Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o
>> > /home/hassan/vision/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx: In
>> > member function ‘virtual void (*
>> > vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::GetProcAddress(const char*))()’:
>> > /home/hassan/vision/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx:270:
>> > error: ‘glXGetProcAddressARB’ was not declared in this scope
>> > make[2]: ***
>> [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o]
>> > Error 1
>> > make[1]: *** [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/all] Error 2
>> > make: *** [all] Error 2
>> >
>> > Any help in resolving this error will be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Best Wishes,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dr. Hassan Amin
>> > Assistant Professor
>> > Head of Computer Science Department
>> > National University(NUCES)
>> > Peshawar Campus
>> > Pakistan
>> > Phone:0092-(0)91-111-128-128
>> > Email: hassan.amin at nu.edu.pk

Gerrick,

Yes, these are new, but so am I, so it doesn't mean they are correct/current
:)

If you find a better/newer way to do it, please modify the example to
reflect it. I wasn't trying to demonstrate using mesa, just using offscreen
rendering. That was the only way I found how to do it. If mesa is no longer
supported, we should definitely demonstrate how to do offscreen rendering
without it.

Thanks,

David