[vtkusers] vtkFeatureEdges, vtkUnstructuredGrid to vtkPolyData and their writers

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Fri Jan 15 14:52:26 EST 2010

On 15/01/10 17:56:42, Bryn Lloyd wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstand you, but I think you simply need to extract the
> triangle surface from the tetrahedral mesh (obtained with Delaunay3D).
>
> This will only leave the triangles, which are used by only one
> tetrahedron, so only those on the surface.
>

> Try vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter.

Thanks,  that's  the  one  I  was  desperatly  looking for. On the way I found
vtkFeatureEdges.    But    appling    that    to    the    extracted     edges
(featureEdges->SetInput(edges->GetOutput()))  resulted  in  an  empty  output.
Appling       it        to        the        ouput        of        delaunay3D
(featureEdges->SetInput(delaunay3D->GetOutput()))   didn't  work  because  its
output is not vtkPolyData. I also tried this in paraview: my  delaunay3D  mesh
is not accepted where as a tourus is. Why's that?
How  can  one  convert  a vtkUnstructuredGrid to vtkPolyData? I tried to learn
about the difference of these to from the vtk book but  still  I  don't  know.
They both seem to support faces, edges and vertices.

Also  I  noticed  there  is  a  vtkXMLDataSetWriter,  vtkXMLPolyDataWriter and
vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter. When to use which?

Thanks guys for the big help. I'd  be  really  stuck  for  ages  without  Your
support!
Lynx.