[vtkusers] How to remove edges/faces not belonging to the konvex hull from Delaunay3D?

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:35:33 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:50 AM,  <lynx.abraxas at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> I  want  to get the convex hull of points lying on a sphere. I used Delaunay3D
> for that. My problem now is the inner connection of points created during  the
> Delaunay  triangulation (eg a line between opposite points of a octaedron). Is
> there a way to remove the edges and faces that do not  belong  to  the  convex
> hull?  I  found  vtkHull  but  that seems not to be the right filter for this,
> since the Delaunay result contains the hull already,  it  would  just  need  a
> clean up.
>
> Thanks for any help or hints.
> Lynx

This is a good point. I don't believe this example is correct:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Convex_hull

because it potentially contains surfaces that are "inside" the convex hull.

I had to do this one time and I used my synthetic lidar scanner:
http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/695

To shoot a bunch of rays from a bunch of different directions at the
object and kept only the surfaces which were hit. This seemed like a
VERY outrageous way to do this, but it worked :)

Anyone have a better/easier suggestion?

Thanks,

David