[vtkusers] creating interactive seed placing window in vtk

michiel mentink michael.mentink at st-hughs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 06:39:42 EST 2010

I'd like to create an interactive seed placing window in VTK for future use
with an ITK segmentation algorithm.
Preferably, I'd like to stay away from Tcl or TK / FLTK, unless it is really
advisable to do so. Just plain C++ in VTK.

This is what I'd like to do:

- open a dicom series and display a single slice in a renderwindow.
- With mousewheel action (up/down) the user can zoom in on a specific area
of an image
- with up/down keys the next/previous dicom slice from the series will be
shown
- with the 'p' key of the keyboard, a seedpoint will be displayed as a
colored pixel and the seedpoint location will be saved in a seed point list.
- with the 'r' key, the seed point will be removed from the image and the
seed point will be deleted from the seed point list.

In the class references I've found that the vtkrenderwindowinteractor class
passes user interactions to the vtkinteractor style class.

Promising functions in vtkrenderwindowinteractor:
-createdefaultpicker
-getmouseposition
-render
-setpicker
-getkeycode

promising functions in vtkinteractor style:
-onchar
-onkeyup
-onkeydown
-onkeypress
-onkeyrelease
-setpickcolor
-setmousewheel motionfactor.

Does anybody have an example I could look at?
What is the 'picker' function actually? It seems to me as returning a pixel
coordinate.
Any tips for how to set this up?

I have to admit that I'm a newbie to VTK, so this project is quite ambitious
for me.

kind regards, Michael