[vtkusers] Plotting vectors from a surface

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:07:01 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> I have some data collected nominally over an X/Y plane, with minor
> variations in Z due to the data collection hardware. Each point has two 3D
> coordinates (6 numbers): an ideal and an actual location. I'm looking for
> suggestions on how best to present this. I'm thinking I want a "forest" of
> vectors showing the error (difference between each point pair) color-coded
> to indicate the degree of the error.

I think you could use Glyph3D to apply an arrow at every point - with
the length scaled by the error.
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGlyph3D.html#_details

You could also color the arrows by the error to give an even more
dramatic effect.

Please let us know if this works for you - I'd like to see a picture
(and the code) that you come up with :)

Thanks,

David