[vtkusers] Qt with QVTKWidget: Setting a QLabel's parent widget to a QVTKWidget Problem

Steven Ferrell ferr.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:02:20 EST 2010

*(including VTK Users in the discussion)*

http://imgur.com/8OU4E

Brief on what you're seeing: this is a Qt window that uses QDockWidgets.
The center widget is a qt mdi actor which holds four QVTKWidgets.  Each of
those widgets has two renderers, one for the actor and one for the xyz axis
actor.  There is a label for each vtkwidget which you can see in the top
left of each of the four render windows.. they are for some reason rendered
as black and no text is visible.

The first image is what it looks like when it starts up.  Just a black area
where the label should be, no text.  When I resize the left dock widget,
something happens with the text (garbled) in the label as you can see in the
second image.

Based on your responses so far I would imagine that this is unusual and that
it should be fine as I have described it.  I have encountered similar things
before in Qt/VTK and they tend to just clear themselves up almost randomly
(e.g. among a couple of other weird things I've run into so far, for some
reason titles weren't displayed in my dock widgets for a while until I
removed a few unused and seemingly unrelated event handlers for other
processes).  I was looking to find out if there was some obvious behaviour I
didn't know about that Qt/VTK required in order to properly display a widget
within a QVTKWidget, but it's not looking like that's the case.