[vtkusers] wx python scripts segfault

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 13:43:08 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Charl Botha <c.p.botha at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> On 28 February 2010 15:14, David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> >> See here: http://code.google.com/p/devide/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
> >
> > Charl,
> > I only didn't add the renderer because I was trying to get the minimal
> > script that would crash. Running wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor directly
> also
> > crashes:
> > [doriad at davedesktop wx]$ pwd
> > /home/doriad/src/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/wx
> > [doriad at davedesktop wx]$ python wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py
> > Segmentation fault
> > Any thoughts on what to try next?
>
> If you're not too attached to your VTK binaries, please try the DRE
> (see link above).  It contains its own versions of VTK, Python and
> wxPython and requires no installation besides unpacking the relevant
> tarball.  If it solves your problems, and you don't mind using the
> DRE, you're done. :)
>
> If not, it's time to study backtraces.  I have looked at the previous
> one you posted, it seems to segfault in X.  In the past, I've had
> problems with the osmesa libraries.  Swapping them out fixed the
> problem.  Where is your libGL.so from?
>
> Good luck,
> Chalr

Unfortunately I am attached to the VTK binaries - I am responsible for a
very tiny piece of a larger project and surely the project is not going to
want to change their structure.

This is the mesa I have installed:
mesa-libOSMesa-7.6-0.1.fc11.i586

The libGL.so that VTK had for OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY was /usr/lib/libGL.so which
I imagine came with Fedora 11.

I changed OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY to /usr/lib/libGL.so.190.53 (this file was
presumably installed when I installed the NVidia 190.53 driver) and rebuilt
VTK. There was no change, wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py still segfaults.
Would I need to rebuild wxWidgets and wxPython to tell them to use this
190.53 libGL also?

Thanks,

David