[vtkusers] wx python scripts segfault

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 11:57:48 EST 2010

My only advice is to use wxRenderWindow instead.  Regardless of the
name, it actually does provide interaction, and most importantly, it
doesn't crash like wxRenderWindowInteractor does (or at least, not on
my ubuntu 8.04 system).

The difference between the two classes is that wxRenderWindow does the
interaction purely in python, while wxRenderWindowInteractor uses a
vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor.  (Note: this difference is probably
unrelated to the crash).

If wxRenderWindow doesn't serve your purpose and you need
wxRenderWindowInteractor, then I suggest that the best way to debug it
is to work your way backward from any instances of SetWindowInfo,
SetParentInfo, or SetNextWindowInfo that appear in the code.  Add lots
of print statements to the python code so that you can correlate the
C++ stack trace to a position in the python code.  Also, take a look
at vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx to see what SetWindowId and related
methods are doing under-the-hood.

Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with wxPython anymore (it's been
around eight years since I've used it), but I hope my limited memory
has provided some help.

   David