[vtkusers] Slow rendering by vtkLabeledDataMapper... How to increase speed??

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Mon Feb 22 14:33:14 EST 2010

You may want to take a look at vtkLabelPlacementMapper, which will
only render a subset of non-overlapping labels. From doxygen:

vtkLabelPlacementMapper
Places and renders non-overlapping labels. To use this mapper, first
send your data through vtkPointSetToLabelHierarchy, which takes a set
of points, associates special arrays to the points (label, priority,
etc.), and produces a prioritized spatial tree of labels. This mapper
then takes that hierarchy (or hierarchies) as input, and every frame
will decide which labels and/or icons to place in order of priority,
and will render only those labels/icons. A label render strategy is
used to render the labels, and can use e.g. FreeType or Qt for
rendering.

Jeff