[vtkusers] Scalar Visualization

Sebastian Gatzka sebastian.gatzka at stud.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Feb 22 06:56:56 EST 2010

Hello World.

I have seen many different and beautifil slides on scalar visualization,
but they lack one major point: the code.
I'm really confused between actors, lookup tables and legend-box-actors.

What I need is the basic understanding of how to get my (unstructured
grid) cell data visualized with a cutting plane.

Scalar Values exist:

vtkDoubleArray *T = vtkDoubleArray::New();
for (unsigned i = 0; i < noCells; i++){
     T->InsertNextValue(i);
}

Even at the cells:

sGrid->GetCellData()->SetScalars(T);

The cutting plane is there, too. But it is not colored:

vtkCutter *planeCut = vtkCutter::New();
planeCut->SetInput(sGrid);
planeCut->SetCutFunction(plane);

So my quetions remain:

    * *How do I color the cutting plane corresponding to the cell values?*
    * *How do I even add a color legend to the scene?*

I have allready looked at the example at
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Legend but I'm not getting it.
There are two color legend entries, but I centainly need more for a grid
containing 16000 cells?
Or do I misunderstand the difference between the legend and a color-legend?
Does a lookup-table come into play here?!

Have a nice day.
Sebastian