[vtkusers] How to view point cloud as a set of spheres or splats with acceptable performance?

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sun Feb 21 03:53:42 EST 2010

On 21/02/10 13:53:19, Junjie Cao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to visualize a point cloud whose number of points varies from 100 to
> 90k. Putting the point cloud into a vtkPolyData, and setting the type of it
> as vertex works.
> But I want to view each point as a sphere or splat(disk) with acceptable
> performance. Which method should I use?

Have You tried vtkGaussianSplatter? If You just want solid spheres
You can increase its performance by setting the Radius to the one You want and
the exponent factor to something very close to zero.

Then You can use volume rendering or You can create  a  countur  for  geometry
rendering.
If   You   want  individual  objects  for  each  point  You  have  to  draw  a
vtkSphereSource for each.

Hope this helps,
Lynx