[vtkusers] VTK_USE_MATLAB_MEX mac problem with libvtkGraphics

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Feb 15 15:27:15 EST 2010

Hello,

For the first time today I tried compiling CVS VTK (today's) with VTK_USE_MATLAB_MEX turned ON (OS X 10.6.2, cmake 2.9.20100113), and it finished compiling but I'm having trouble with the generated vtkGraphics library. When I try to run a cxx example like Medical1 (and similar problems trying to "import vtk" from Python) I get:

dyld: Library not loaded: @loader_path/libmex.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/emonson/Programming/VTK_cvs/VTK/build/bin/libvtkGraphics.5.5.dylib
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

If I do an "otool -L libvtkGraphics.5.5.dylib", everything except the matlab libraries look fine -- for the matlab lines I get:

	@loader_path/libmx.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@loader_path/libmex.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@loader_path/libmat.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@loader_path/libeng.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

So, when anything runs trying to use this library I guess it doesn't have the proper thing to substitute for @loader_path (these really do exist on my system in /Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/maci64/ )

Has anyone else run into this, or does anyone know how to fix it? It seems like one of those things that can be fixed by using the install_name_tool, or maybe there's a cmake options I'm not setting properly so it doesn't happen in the first place?

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group