[vtkusers] [Insight-users] How to create/draw a sphere surface image mask with 26|6 connectivity?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Feb 13 15:34:32 EST 2010

Hi Lynx,

You could use the following set of classes

    1) itkEllipseSpatialObject
    2) itkSpatialObjectToImageFilter
    3) itkSimpleContourExtractorImageFilter

With (1) you can create a Sphere of the proper size,
With (2) you can rasterize that sphere into a binary image mask
With (3) you can extract the contour of the binary image mask

The filter (3) allows you to select the "thickness" of
the contour. You do this by adjusting the value of the
neighborhood "Radius" parameter.

----------------

You will find source code guiding examples in

  Insight/Examples/Filtering/
         SpatialObjectToImage1.cxx
         SpatialObjectToImage2.cxx
         SpatialObjectToImage3.cxx

and

  Insight/Examples/Registration/
          ModelToImageRegistration1.cxx
          ModelToImageRegistration2.cxx

The basic declarations will look like:

  const unsigned int Dimension = 3;
  typedef unsigned char MaskPixelType;

  typedef itk::Image< MaskPixelType, Dimension > MaskImageType;

  typedef itk::EllipseSpatialObject< Dimension >    SpatialObjectType;

  typedef itk::SpatialObjectToImageFilter<
                              SpatialObjectType,
                              MaskImageType
                                >   SpatialObjectToImageFilterType;

This will generate a discrete structure ("aliased").

Anti-aliased versions could be produced in several
different ways, depending on what you plan to do
with the resulting contour.

Some of the options for anti-aliased versions are:

A)  Take the aliased contour and pass it as input
      to the itk::AntiAliasBinaryImageFilter

B) Use either one of the following distance map filters:

        * SignedDanielssonDistanceMapImageFilter
        * SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilter

   Please let us know if you run into any problems,

          Thanks

               Luis