[vtkusers] updating an actor

Giancarlo Amati ilferraresebono at hotmail.it
Fri Feb 12 09:36:50 EST 2010

Superb. thanks a lot!

From: dave.demarle at kitware.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:18:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [vtkusers] updating an actor
To: ilferraresebono at hotmail.it
CC: vtkusers at vtk.org

"act" is a pointer, and thus only a few bytes. The structure "act" refers to will not be duplicated by your keeping hold of the pointer.

You may also want to study reference counting, and then after that smartpointers. They are how VTK makes sure that as long as you want to keep your pointer, the structure on the other side of the pointer will still be valid.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-371-3971 x109

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Giancarlo Amati <ilferraresebono at hotmail.it> wrote:

Hello VTkers,

let's say that I have this function

vtkRenderer *renderer = vtkRenderer::New();

void createScene(...) {

vtkActor *act = vtkActor::New();

renderer->AddActor();

}

I have the need of update an actor associated to a particular element of the scene.
The AddRenderer() adds the actor in the pipeline which I believe is an overall innner VTK datastructure.

So, I know that the GetActors() in the renderer returns the vtkActorsCollection.

If I want to change/update something in a pre-allocated actor shall I save the variable act and the nperform a research in that collection returned by GetActors()?

But saving the variable *act in a global data structure wouldn't it mean duplicating information (and so more memory usage) about that actor? and If I modify *act, am I actually modifing the same in the pipeline?

Thanks  a lot for  any advice you can give me!.

Giancarlo

Troppe caselle di posta? Gestiscile da Hotmail!