[vtkusers] Problem with reading files

Hamilton Woods ghw at accutrol.com
Wed Dec 29 14:04:00 EST 2010

> I see your problem from your other email last week.You installed vtk.
> If you install you can not switch between debug and release. If you do
> not install VTK but build all (for both debug and release) you can
> safely switch between debug and release. When you build an application
> set the VTK_DIR in cmake-gui to the location of your VTK build folder.

> Perhaps someone (possibly me) should fix the wiki to give better advice.

Well, where is the better advice?  Just kidding.  I find this mailing list
be indispensable (I can't imagine using VTK without it!).

I have built VTK from source using Visual Studio 2005 on the Windows XP
Pro operating system.  I built for release and then debug.  Then I used
CMake to create a Visual Studio project from the DumpXMLFile example.
I built DumpXMLFile for release.  It worked.  Then I built DumpXMLFile for
debug.  When I ran the executable, it produces the exception "Unhandled
exception at 0x78484f3f in DumpXMLFile.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x99999997."

As is suggested in the previous post, I made sure that VTK_DIR was set
to the location of your VTK build folder in cmake-gui.  I even attempted
to modify VTK_DIR so that it pointed directly to the VTK debug folder,
but I could not generate DumpXMLFile with that setting.

I could probably move past this problem because I do not need to
determine the data file extension, but I am concerned that I will run into
this problem somewhere else.  Therefore, I would like to understand
how to use VTK in debug mode and release mode.

Thanks for your help,
Hamilton Woods