[vtkusers] Rendering large point clouds including normals

A_n_d_y a.blassnig at blueline3d.at
Wed Dec 22 05:32:16 EST 2010

Hi everybody,

I worked with OpenGL and OpenSceneGraph and now I wanna use vtk - so I'm new
to vtk.
I want to display large 3D point clouds including normals (up to 1M points).
Now I'm searching the most efficient way to store and render my data. Later
on I want to use Splatting to let appear my point cloud as a surface
(perhaps vtkGaussianSplatter...?).
So, I am searching for the best method now. Should I use vtkPoints and
vtkPolyData->SetPoints() and vtkPolyData->GetPointData()->SetNormals() or
anything else? Which mapper would be the best choice for me?
Does vtk support Vertex Arrays or Vertex Buffer Objects?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Greets from Austria, Andy